Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Fork over the Roosevelt

My friend Rogers' girlfriend, Amy, is one of the coolest people I know. Those of us who have worked retail or who currently suffer for low pay at retail jobs but try to be good customer service reps in this age of "Service? The hell?" clerkitude can understand why she responded the way she did to this stone wall masquerading as a human cashier. Plus, Amy's just flat-out funny. Check this, y'all:

"Never let it be said that I'm not a sucker for marketing gimmicks. CVS has a program called Extra Care, which gives you two percent back on your purchases and $1 for every two prescription you fill. I scour their sale ads every Sunday and use coupons on their sale items and literally get stuff for next to nothing. I am a big CVS fan because of this program. (Some other day I'll tell you about the time I got $35 worth of stuff for $7.)

Yesterday afternoon, I had a tremendous headache and no headache remedy handy, so I pulled into a CVS. This was not my friendly local CVS, but an Alpharetta CVS (Alpharetta is a completely separate blog topic). I find my BC powder, grab a drink, and head to the counter to check out. To my chagrin, I discover that I'm using an alternate set of keys, so I don't have my handy CVS Extra Care card with me. This is no problem; I know that they can look it up with my phone number. Here's the conversation that ensued.

Surly Clerk: Do you have a CVS Extra Care Card?

Me: I do, but I don't have it with me. Can't you look it up with my phone number?

Surly Clerk: (Didn't wait a second before responding) I've already swiped mine.

Me: But you can look mine up with my phone number. I want my credit for my Extra Bucks.

Surly Clerk: I'm going to have to void the transaction.

Me: Okay. (Like I care if she has to void the transaction!)

Surly Clerk: (Continuing to ring up my purchase.) Your total will be $5.05

Me: You didn't look up my card.

Surly Clerk: You want me to void the transaction?

Me: Of course I want you to void the transaction! You don't get to get my credit! (Yes, I realize that I'm talking about ten cents here, but she had really pissed me off by this point.)

Surly Clerk: I'm going to have to get a manager.

Me: OK (Like I care if she has to get a manager.)

Surly Clerk: Loud sigh...Troy!

Transaction is voided, completed, and appropriately credited to me.

So, yes, I overreacted over ten cents, but the fact of the matter is this heifer sits there and tries to steal the credit for customers' purchases to put them on her own card. She doesn't even try to do the right thing. In every other CVS I've ever been to, they'll offer to look up your card using your phone number. If she had tried and been unsucessful, then sure, go ahead, she should use her card. I don't even have a problem with the fact that she swipes her card for people who don't have one because they get the benefit of the sale prices (although she should offer the customer the option of signing up for one).

There's nothing like someone trying to steal your dime on Easter. I ought to call and complain to the manager."

3 Comments:

At 1:07 AM , Blogger Sherman said...

Hi-la-ri-ty!

 
At 2:03 PM , Blogger Janna said...

Did you know that some companies don't pay overtime on Easter? Because it's a religious holiday. Maybe the girl was pissed off about that, but Amy was right to make a fuss about the money.

I gave the evil eye to the coffee dude who gave me 15 cents change instead of 17, and held out my hand until he forked over the correct change. That's called stealing, man, and it's not funny, even if it is only 2 cents.

 
At 4:08 PM , Blogger rekkidbraka said...

No joke, Jenna! This morning I got hot at McDonald's, where I rarely go to get breakfast or anything else anyway, b/c I'd taken extra time to find change before pulling up to the FIRST drive-thru window and when heading to the second window, I heard the cashier at Window No. 1 say into her headpiece to some faceless co-worker "Shut up! She just pulled UP to my window!"

I'm thinking "Sorry, McMuffin jockeys, if I'm not moving fast enough to suit you. I mean, it's awful that I'm holding up... absolutely NOBODY behind me in line." Idiots.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home