Sunday, August 07, 2005

The summer of my discontent

My niece, her husband, their girls and our college-bound friend B. from Iowa stopped by on their way back from a weekend jaunt to St. Simons Island. It was so awesome to see them since they're always pretty much out-of-pocket (and B. is, well, in Iowa). The last time I saw the girls was back in June and I've really missed them. One will turn nine this September and the other turns eleven in January. Unreal. I remember feeding them both with bottles back when they were little tiny babies. But I love hanging out with them and they've each got such neat, defined little personalities. The older one is a daredevil, earthy, deep-thinking type and her little sister is a princess who can go from happy-go-lucky to tenderheart in a minute.

Next week they both head back to school and that's it for the summer I didn't get to spend with them. Right now they love their Aunt M., they think it's so cool when they get my approval about some Kid Thing that's important to them and I know the day is coming when Cool Aunt M. won't be cool anymore. They won't ask their mom, "Can I ride to the restaurant with Aunt M.?" because they know we'll pop in a mix CD and I'll let them wear my sunglasses and we'll talk about stuff that worries them (kids they don't want to be in class with, etc.) that maybe they're not so comfortable talking to their mom and dad about. They'll do that with their other teenage friends. And they'll spend their summers with them while I'm regretting missing out on this one.

2 Comments:

At 9:07 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 9:44 PM , Blogger Heidi :) said...

I just turned 30 and have felt the joy of having little one who love to be around me. Keep the little ones close to you while you can because the time is so limited.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home