Sunday, March 12, 2006

Get down ladies you got nothin' to lose

Tonight I became part of that special segment of society that can, when asked, answer truthfully and with complete conviction, "Oh yeah, I've been to rollerderby."

I want to go back and it can't happen soon enough. I want to put up the cold hard cash to fund some el cheapo knockoff rollerderby at the skating rink a mile up from my house with - I don't know - the local teenage tuff girls from my old high school just to see them get knocked down and have to get back up and skate it off and cry or whatever. I want to see girls call themselves crazy names that demand a sense of humor. I want to scream my lungs out again. Oh, the joy.

My younger niece, her husband and our little nieces, who are 11 and nine, went to support "our" team - the Sake Tuyas - as they battled The Apocalypstix in the first hookup of the Atlanta Rollergirls season. The Sakes were the 2005 champs and you could see why tonight. Our fave rollergirl, Big Red, not only did her job as a jammer - securing points for the team by getting leads and barreling through the enemy as her girls elbowed and shoved to try clearing a path for her - but she defended like the tuff bruiser she is when her teammates were in the jammer slot. The rules are complicated and I'm just figuring them out myself. All I know is, the Stix fell more than the Sakes. When we left after Period 2, the Sakes were up by like 20 points. Hee.

I bought a Sakes t-shirt and I found out that my homegirl Millie DJs at some of these throwdowns. Man, I want IN on that action behind the onesies and the twosies. Who WOULDN'T want to hang out with the likes of I'ma Getcha, Tanya Hyde, Pippi Asswhuppin', Hot Legs Hooligan, Slampira and the rollergirl with my personal fave moniker, Reba Smackentire?

But the best part of the night, besides hanging out with my family? The girl who stamped my hand "PAID" at the door was wearing the same hot pink "WWJJD? What Would Joan Jett Do?" t-shirt that I have. I told her that and we shared this knowing look. Oh yeah. Joan Jett, baby. She's classic.

1 Comments:

At 2:50 PM , Blogger Sherman said...

Joan Jett and rollerderby girls rawk!

Nothing wrong with and evening of watching good rollerskating and fighting.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home