Friday, June 02, 2006

Some other sucker


Question: Do everyday people even GO to concerts anymore?

I ask this because my man, John Mayer, hits ATL October 14. Unfortunately, he's coming to Chastain Park Ampitheater, a much smaller - and pricier - venue than Lakewood Ampitheater, where he usually plays to a humongous crowd. So while concertgoers enjoy the benefits of a more intimate setting with (supposedly) better sound quality, you pay out the wazoo for it.

Or in my case, you don't. Because you just don't get tickets to start with.

Chastain sold the show, far as I can tell, on the sly. Not through Ticketmaster, but some other way by which people had to buy Mayer tix for $65 (!!!) AND purchase tix to ANOTHER show in some Delta/Chastain Concert Series for late summer/early fall. Give me a break. That's a ripoff.

Ticket brokers have THEIR seats, though - oh, you bet they do. The cheapest going rate at present is $160 for way back orchestra seats. Now, much as I love JM, I'm not paying that to see him in concert. I'm not paying that to see anyone - not even the Non-Dead, Non-Fat Elvis At His Prime - in concert. Because. That. Is. Ridiculous. To me, $65 is ridicks, too, actually.

So I'm going to sweat it out until right around the show date in October, keep checking craigslist.org for Atlanta and hope there's some poor soul out there who has decent tix but will have to sell them at the last minute. That person, in my ideal scenario, won't be able to scalp me for big bucks because they'll be in the "I've got to get rid of these. I don't want to be out $130-plus" position and I will swoop in with cash at the ready, set to pay a semi-exorbitant price but not enough to disgust me.

And then I look at what I just wrote. My point is...?

5 Comments:

At 5:12 PM , Blogger Sherman said...

I still go to concerts. Not so much the big ones any more but I still go to ones with up-and-comers in smaller venues. In fact, the only concerts for a "known band" that I've shelled out for this year are Jamie Cullum and Dashboard Confessional. It's redonkulous that you have to pay exorbitant prices for tickets. At that kind of pricing it's almost like you're buying "cool points" by being able to afford the "hot" ticket instead of being a real fan of the music.

I didn't even know John had any set dates for a tour this year. A lot of good my Local-83 membership did me. :-P

 
At 6:42 PM , Blogger rekkidbraka said...

I hear you. I signed on to Local-83 too b/c it wasn't that expensive, relatively speaking, and yeah - they weren't doing any pre-sales for the Oct. 14 JM date in ATL. Great. I guess craigslist and some poor other person's lack of luck is the only way to go. And I don't like that.

 
At 12:03 AM , Blogger Janna said...

Concerts I've been to: Amy Grant, 98 Degrees, Clay Walker. Wow.

I kind of think music should be heard and not seen, so concerts aren't really my thing*. I just hate how at some concerts one must stand up the whole time. That said, I'm going to some country dude's concert with my mom and sister as kind of a birthday/mother's day present... and my sister got the tix off of craigslist so I hope you have luck too.

*except ACL.

 
At 10:56 AM , Blogger rekkidbraka said...

And Janna, when you get back from France, we *are* going to ACL right? Confession: Amy Grant's "Love Will Find A Way" has always been one of my fave songs (since 7th grade). I once put it on a CD mix right up against Public Enemy's "Fight The Power." On purpose. Just to see how it sounded. Hee. :-)

Jenna, I was going to tell you: My niece Tiffany, her husband Christopher and I are going to try to snag JM tix for the ATL date and when I look for tix, I'm looking for four. So of course, YOU are our fourth. Tiffany's cool. But if you tell Christopher "I take back every nice thing I ever said about Rachael Ray," he may get sad. She is his TV Food Network GF.

Trifecta! Dashboard Confessional and Jamie Cullum are two of MY faves as well. Win, place, show.

 
At 12:24 AM , Blogger Janna said...

Jamie Cullum is totally on the June JCP music video. Rock on.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home