Sunday, May 21, 2006

Sweet somethings


Confession: I never bake.

Correction: I never bake WELL.

But since I've got my tickets to head up to NYC the weekend of July 14, I'm jacked to... bake. Weird, I know. Nobody's more stunned at this development than me.

What happened is, my friend Mia, who's so kindly hosting me, has to work Saturday so Manta has graciously offered to squire me around Brooklyn, NYC, wherever that day. I'm actually all about seeing her 'hood, Brooklyn, walking across the Bridge, etc., but my only "We've GOTTA do this!" request was that we hit Magnolia Bakery so I could sample those killer-looking pink frosted cupcakes made famous to the world outside NYC via Saturday Night Live's hilarious "Lazy Sunday" video. If you haven't seen that, Google it. Your life will be better as a result of all the laughing.

Manta was all about a Magnolia run, so I'm looking forward to that. Next to the White Sox-Yankees game Mia and I are heading to Friday night, it's going to be one of the trip's highlights. I'm not a big sweets-eater but cupcakes have always been more of an appetite-whetter to me than cake cake. I think it's because they're small, individual treats - something just for you that isn't meant to be shared, necessarily - and made the traditional way, cupcakes are just the right size. A cupcake is a satisfying little joy, all your own. You don't get them as much as big layer cakes so maybe that's why I enjoy them more.

Anyway, back to why I'm inspired to bake: Because I'm thinking about Magnolia and I have to go to the grocery store today AND I have to work tomorrow night (which I hate; working Monday nights is currently the bane of my existence), I've decided to do something nice for my fellow Monday night peons who suffer the indignity of working awful hours on the sports copy desk at the paper.

I'm baking a slew of little pink, blue, green and purple frosted MagnoliATL cupsters for us to enjoy tomorrow night. There's a Braves game they'll have to wait on (it starts at 10:05 EDT because it's played on the West Coast) and they deserve something happy because they'll be there until at least 2 a.m. I'll get to leave early. I'm lucky.

Oh, I don't know... It's spring - almost summer - and the newsroom is so grey. Touching it up with a little pink, blue, green and purple? Can't hurt.

ETA: OK, the cupcakes themselves turned out great. The homemade frosting? Not so much. Too thin. These suckers are sooooo not making an appearance at my work. I guess they'll sit in my fridge, mocking me.

2 Comments:

At 12:07 AM , Blogger Janna said...

Aw, I'm sorry the icing didn't turn out.

I guess now you'll just have to eat them all by yourself! :)

 
At 10:51 AM , Blogger rekkidbraka said...

The really awful thing is, I don't even want them. The icing is too sugary. My mom says she'll eat them. Also, after they flopped I just was sick to death of them. It's a lame feeling. You have high hopes and then... that's that.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home