Thursday, May 11, 2006

Dirty little secret

Glancing to my right, I felt a surge of shock when I realized what I'd just seen. Why my eyes opened just that much wider and I swallowed so hard, I can't say. Truth be told, I've seen more of them. Plenty more. But never so close to my own neighborhood. Oh, I know they're there; they just usually aren't so prominent, so bold, so sickeningly out of the shadows.

Ambling nonchalantly into the scrubby bush bordering the shopping center parking lot, the rat went its way and I drove on, headed downtown right into the thick of them, far from the horror of this cruel suburban reality check.

4 Comments:

At 12:16 AM , Blogger Sherman said...

Wow, rats... All I get to deal with everyday are pigeons. I just try to run over them with my oxygen cart.

 
At 10:57 AM , Blogger rekkidbraka said...

Pigeons = street rats. Blech.

 
At 4:36 PM , Blogger Sherman said...

There was this one pigeon that's made a home in the hospital's ambulance bay. It's got one leg and is always hobbling around down there. I had to shoo it out from under a gurney once when I was retrieving an oxygen tank.

 
At 10:36 PM , Blogger rekkidbraka said...

Well, the pigeons populating the Plaza at GSU (which would be a typical quad on any normal campus that had, you know, actual grass instead of poured concrete for a "lawn") acted like they owned the place since they were so used to students being around. And I grew to hate them. Because you'd be sitting there, minding your business, noshing a bagel and they'd just stare at you like little winged beggars as if to say "You gonna eat ALL of that?" The bastards.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home