Friday, April 13, 2007

Decatur Girl

"What's up with your shirt?"

Two people asked me this today, in various ways phrased nothing like the above, and I'm not sure why. The shirt in question is a dark chocolate brown long-sleeved tee with a single electric blue star on the chest. In the star, the words "decatur girl" peep out in brown and under the star is the motto "i know hardware," also in electric blue. Cute. It's cute.

Maybe it's something of an enigmatic shirt if you don't know its origin. In Decatur, Georgia, there's a local hardware store that sells Decatur-themed t-shirts. It's sort of a little hometown brand. Walk the Decatur square and you'll likely run into a guy wearing a "Decatur Dad" tee, wrangling about three kids into a Volvo. For moms and coeds (Agnes Scott College is, like, RIGHT there) it's all about the hip "decatur girl" shirts. My niece has a shirt like mine. Actually, I have a shirt like hers; she had one first, I loved it and said I'd like one. So I got one. For Christmas. From her girls, also my nieces.

I'm not a decatur girl -- not in any real sense. Not by virtue of location (I don't live there) or philosophy (I'm not a liberal, although many of my good friends are). But my cool shirt -- one of my faves -- came to me via decatur girls so I'll wear their lone star emblem and be happy.

But really? I don't know hardware.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home