Monday, September 05, 2005

One bad apple

Stupidly, I left my windows down today in the at-work parking lot because I didn't want my car interior to bake. And so, thinking "out of sight, out of mind," I stowed my CD case and purse in my trunk, taking my car keys inside with me. Should I have been all that surprised when security called an hour later, telling me that a homeless man had crawled into my car, attempting to steal my CD case, cellphone and CD player face cover? No, I guess. Though he did get my purse, everything else was still in the car.

While I was frantically cancelling my credit and debit cards and putting a hold on my checking and savings accounts, security returned to tell me the police caught the man. They found my bag, too -- my checks still untouched, my SSN card there, my various keys OK, but my driver's license, medical, dental, credit and debit cards gone. I'm also out a wad of cash - about $100 worth - not to mention my general sense of personal security. My credit/debit accounts are cancelled and new cards are on the way. I've let the medical folks know via email that I need new cards and I'll contact them tomorrow when they're back in the office. I can get my driver's license replaced. I'll have the hold taken off my checking and savings accounts. I have my bag back and I'll clean it. My cellphone, stereo and CDs are all here, so I really only lost the cash.

Today I feel like I've already given my share of spare cash to the homeless until next Labor Day rolls around. Until then, the many decent folks who I would have otherwise shared spare money with will receive my gifts only through the charities I already donate to, like the Salvation Army, Red Cross and Atlanta Community Food Bank.

All this man would have had to do was ask instead of taking.

3 Comments:

At 11:17 PM , Blogger Janna said...

Oh, man, that sucks. I thought you were going for the "and then it started to rain" conclusion when I read about leaving your car windows open. Because I've done that many a time, and it's not fun. But I guess this scenario's even more not fun.

 
At 3:50 PM , Blogger Sherman said...

That does suck... I remember how bad I felt back in June when I came back to my car to find a window smashed in and my backpack stolen. I knew it was dumb to leave my backpack on my front seat, but I was in a rush. Sorry about the cash and the cards. I'm glad I had my wallet with me when my car was busted into. I just had to call in about my checks being stolen. Still a pain though...

 
At 7:34 PM , Blogger rekkidbraka said...

Well, like I said, I got it all taken care of by 1 p.m. today and now I'm just waiting on the cards to come in. Still out the $100, though, but considering what I *didn't* lose I'd have to say I ended up being exceptionally lucky.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home