Friday, September 02, 2005

Slow ride

Because I remember how awful it was to sit in hour-long gas lines back in the mid-'70s with my parents during the gas crunch, I'm trying to do my part now in order to conserve fuel. One way I'm taking action is by simply slowing down on the interstate to the posted speed limit.

It's a novel concept -- just slowing down -- in ATL, The City Too Busy To Brake, but I'm doing it no matter how many dirty looks I get. I still get exactly where I was going, albeit a little later than normal. But what's interesting is that I'm starting to wonder why I was in such a hurry to begin with, on all the same roads, going to all the same places at all the same times.

6 Comments:

At 2:59 PM , Blogger Sherman said...

WTG, Rekkid. I wish I had the restraint you do. I need to rush to work most days cause I either wake up late or lounge around too much before leaving. Oh well. I just need to figure out how to manage my time better so I'm not flying out the door trying to put my scrub top on while holding a bagel in my mouth.

 
At 6:10 PM , Blogger rekkidbraka said...

It isn't easy, but I'm hoping the time on the bus will give me a chance to relax.

 
At 6:52 PM , Blogger Janna said...

It took me an hour and a quarter to take the night buses home from class yesterday, but hey it was free and environmentally friendly. And one of the bus drivers was a hunk. So it was quite pleasant, actually.

 
At 8:36 PM , Blogger mantaraggio said...

This is as good a time as any to get out that sexy road bike of yours...

If you're really into conserving fuel, you could always not use the A/C and the radio...

Hah.

 
At 9:31 PM , Blogger rekkidbraka said...

Not use my A/C? In the South? I guess if I just go on and die that would be, like, my ultimate way to personally cut back on fuel consumption.

An hour and a quarter, Janna?!! Was it one of those Fred Flintstone buses where they had to start it up by running really fast in place to get going? Hee. Oh, I just KILL me. Yeah, it's late here at work tonight...

 
At 1:24 PM , Blogger Janna said...

I had a night class out at the Bush library which is way out in the boonies, and then I had to wait around for the one to take me to my apartment. They only run once every 45 minutes I think at night, so I sort of beat the system if you think about it.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home