Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Nesting

Looking at a gourd birdhouse hanging in the backyard a couple of winters ago, my then-nine-year-old niece and I were admiring the intricate handiwork the occupants had put into their home. They'd thatched the pine straw into the entry hole with extra care, making sure the cold wind wouldn't get inside. It looked warm and cozy in there.

"I wish I had a nest," my niece said, sadly, as we walked back towards the house.

Me too. My nest would be a comfy little getaway, high up -- as high as I could build it in the tallest tree. It wouldn't necessarily be far away from people but it wouldn't be all that close to everyone, either.

But now it's too late to get started. Autumn takes the safe cover of leaves with it and when winter rolls around, you're exposed and it's cold.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home