Saturday, October 08, 2005

The rising cost of transmission fluid

"Are you driving that purple truck?," the man asked, catching me by surprise as I made my way across the shopping center parking lot this afternoon. When I said no, that the purple truck wasn't mine, he asked me if I was driving - like, anything at all. Yes, I said -- a little taken aback by the question. I was driving the Honda parked next to the purple truck. He hastened to explain.

"Do you have any transmission fluid I can have? I got my kids in the car and we've been here an hour and a half and I just need some transmission fluid." I told him I didn't carry any extra with me, unfortunately. I'm bad about planning ahead that way.

"Then can I bum $2.79 off you for some transmission fluid so I can put it in my car?," he asked. I knew he'd get around to asking for cash at some point. It was just a matter of when. He'd intercepted me heading into Subway. I told him, truthfully, that I didn't have any change at the moment and I'd have to get some. So I went in and placed my order while he waited, rather patiently, outside the store. I ended up with $3.61 change, .$.61 of which I put into the tip jar and the remainder of which I held out for another purpose.

Handing the $3 to the man once I got outside, he thanked me, saying "Now I can finally get out of here" in a good-natured tone. I watched him walk back across the parking lot in the opposite direction from where he'd approached me. He headed in the direction of Best Buy, which is along the route to the gas station where I imagine they sell small containers of transmission fluid. I didn't see him stop at any car. I didn't see any kids.

If his car really needed a tranny boost, I hope my contribution helped. If he needed $3 to have enough to buy some CD he wanted at Best Buy, I hope he at least has good taste in music.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home