Saturday, September 24, 2005

Lose control

My niece turned nine on September 21 but her skate party was today. I'd sworn up and down all week that I would NOT lace up a pair of skates and hit the floor. And of course I did once we got there. Falling all over the place to the amusement of not only our group of kids but every other kid in the place and several teenagers and grownups, I reckoned it was my lot today to look ridiculous.

My motto at the skating rink is: If you're going to wipe out, make it spectacular. Do it right under the disco ball. Raise the roof a few times to the beat. And when it inevitably happens again, go through your little routine, pick yourself up and see how far you can get before you have to start mixing things up after your next header into the side carpeting.

One hour later, the maturity of being a 33-year-old kicked in and I turned in my skates and just took pictures of my niece, her mom and aunt and the assorted gaggle of little friends having fun, making skate trains and helping each other around the rink. Because you only turn nine once. And it's a long time before looking ridiculous while wiping out spectacularly right under the disco ball is fun again.

2 Comments:

At 2:46 AM , Blogger Sherman said...

At least you gave it the old college try. I've never been roller-skating. I went ice skating once and after one terrible lap I decided it was not for me.

 
At 12:50 PM , Blogger Sherman said...

I watched Roll-Bounce. the other day. It was a pretty good. Not Oscar-caliber mind you but it was entertaining enough. It made me miss those days of summer when it was just you and your friends lazing the days away. I remember the year I spent in Indianapolis when I first came into the US. That summer it was me, my cousin Chris and our bikes riding around the neighborhood and exploring the woods behind the house.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home