Monday, September 12, 2005

IBY 560

Picking up a side of something to go with dinner tonight, I noticed that the car in front of me at the drive-thru had Louisiana plates. The dealer stamp had a Metairie address. My guess was that the folks inside were among the many Katrina evacuees who'd made their way to the Atlanta area.

So I walked up to the open driver's side window and handed the young man inside a $20, telling him dinner was on me tonight. At first he looked a little stunned but then he smiled and thanked me and his wife, in the back seat with a baby snuggled in its car seat, also thanked me. When I asked if they had had to relocate, the man said "Yes. We lost everything."

I had to give him a hug. I just had to. "God bless you," I told him, really meaning it. Then I went back to my own car. They picked up their supper and before the family drove away we exchanged a final wave. Another thanks, and not just for dinner.

2 Comments:

At 4:57 PM , Blogger Sherman said...

Rekkid, you just may be too nice.

 
At 7:46 PM , Blogger rekkidbraka said...

Thanks, but it just felt like the right thing to do. One less thing for them to worry about that day.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home