Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Fox to the hounds

I'm heading for a workout. I may wait until 6 p.m. to actually leave the house, which means I'll get to the park around 6:10. That means I'll likely avoid the Tarpons, our area club swim team.

Looking more healthy, athletic and impossibly thin than anyone ever should, the Tarpons hit the track on odd afternoons right around 5:30. They start jogging around the rest of us who are sweating it out like dogs, desperate to finish even the shortest distance, like it's no big deal. I can't stand the way they pass me on the track. They're young and fit. I'm not young anymore, compared to them, and just getting in passable shape is a struggle.

But the other day I took the Tarpons on. They were starting off on their initial trot and I was on my finishing lap of my first two miles. I'd considered just walking it that day, but seeing them there made me determined to finish strong. And I did. I posted one of my best times of late.

Six p.m. by my clock. Fox 1, Hounds 0. At least until I actually get to the park, that is.

3 Comments:

At 10:02 PM , Blogger mantaraggio said...

You should taunt them from the stands, calling them the Tampons, and mocking their freakishly overdeveloped swimmer shoulders.

I'm a very hostile individual, you're a much better person than I am.

 
At 10:21 AM , Blogger rekkidbraka said...

But wouldn't it look doubly-sad for a 33-year-old woman to taunt 14- and 15-year-olds on weekends? Heck, I'd taunt ME in that case. ;-)

"Tampons"... Hee. I will think of that, however, the next time the little Wheat Thins are bounding around me like gazelles. I hope they all get Cs in Trig and can't bring them up so they wreck their GPAs.

 
At 1:41 PM , Blogger Janna said...

They're 14? Well, no wonder they're impossibly thin and athletic.

You mean, you didn't think 'tampons' every time you typed Tarpon? Yes, you are a better person than I, too.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home