Friday, September 16, 2005

Consequences

My father is home from the hospital but he'll have to use oxygen for the rest of his life as a result of smoking for so long.

This afternoon, when I walked down the street to give my neighbor a check for her elementary school-age daughter's fundraiser, she and the little girl were in the mom's truck. As I handed the check over, mom thanked me for the check and, noticing a rising twist of smoke, flicked her cigarette ashes into the tray between their seats and then drove off.

I can hear the newest resident of our house down the hall right now, breathing.

1 Comments:

At 10:52 PM , Blogger Sherman said...

Sorry for that, Rekkid. I've known many people on oxygen as a result of being a DME (Durable Medical Equipment) driver. I've set up many a patient on home oxygen. Many of them were scared if not a little terrified of the concept. It's a hard thing having to accept a crutch like that for the rest of your life. Still, though, we had those patients that would unhook their oxygen and have a smoke. It always made me a little sad that something like that could have so much control over one's life. If anything, that job reaffirmed my resolve to never take up smoking.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home