Sunday, December 18, 2005

Maurice Darlin'

Maurice Darlin'.

It's what my nieces call my dad. Cinnamon started it, like she starts everything. She heard my mom call my dad that back when she was a little girl - like before I was born, even - and she just thought that was his name. So she never calls my dad "Maurice" or "Grandfather"; it's always "Maurice Darlin'."

And her girls, both in elementary school, call him "Maurice Darlin'," too. Except being the kind of girls who care so much about good grammar, it comes out more like "Maurice Darling," which I think has a nice little touch of classiness to it.

My mother has always called my dad Maurice and when people ask me my father's name, I say "Maurice." When I was little he was just "Daddy." Growing up, it became "Dad" more often than not but when it was just us talking, it was still "Daddy."

His family called him Ed, Eddie or Edward. That was his first name. But "Maurice Darlin'" is who he really was and it's the nickname that we'll put in my dad's obituary tomorrow and in whatever memorial pamphlet that is handed out Tuesday at his service. My daddy passed on this morning after being sick for a long time and he was at total peace. It was indeed a blessed way to pass on and I'm sure that right now, my dad is probably trying to explain to St. Peter that yes, he's on the list and that checking under "Maurice Darlin'" one more time is worth a shot.

1 Comments:

At 10:16 PM , Blogger Sherman said...

I always called my father, "Dad." Never Daddy, always Dad. I think it's a guy thing. I think that I thought it was unmasculine of me to have used the term Daddy. Although, who knows what I called him as a small child...

I am sorry for your loss. I'm glad that he went peacefully and in the company of loved ones. I'll keep you and your family in my thoughts and hope that you find strength and comfort in each other and in your loved ones.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home