Monday, January 02, 2006

1970something

I had a ready excuse for why I've been away from this blog but the truth is that I've just been too lazy to update it. That's going to change. I do miss pouring out my deeper thoughts here -- something I rarely do over on my xanga -- and so I'm recommitting myself to good writing here at rekkidblogga in 2006.

For one thing, I'm tired of feeling old and creaky because I was born in the early '70s. Why is that the case now? I was OK with being 30, 31, even 32. But now at 33 I'm feeling like I've finally started hitting the wrong side of The Thirtysomething Bar. This June I turn 34. Thirty-freaking-four. Do I feel 33? Not always. Do I want to be 23 again? Oh, good god no. I just don't want people to think that I'm "old." And they do -- "they" being people in their 20s. It's like suddenly anything you say or do or like once you hit 30 becomes lame. Unless you're another thirtysomething. If you were born in the late '60s or in the early- to mid-1970somethings, you get weird looks if you tell people -- like people who weren't also born back then, that is.

We're our own little club, a club of people who remember when the world was ours and the media, etc., looked to US to dictate the next trend, the hip music, the cool slang, whatever. Now everyone just looks past us because we're such a small generation compared to the Baby Boomers and this Gen Y bunch. I hated it when, back in the '90s, our little crew was tagged Generation X by the know-it-all magazines and TV airheads and I still hate that term because it stereotypes us as slackers. Well, we have jobs and we're paying into the Social Security funds for the Boomers so considering that I make nothing -- and I mean nothing -- at my job, which I have to keep because it's steady work and I need the health benefits, etc., I don't feel slack. What I do feel is dissed -- by the Boomers and the Gen Y kids, who look at people my age and sneer at us whenever we open our mouths and make references to stuff we consider cool. It's like we're supposed to shut up and hand the keys to Coolness over to them now that we have a "3" appended to the tens column of our ages.

Bitter? Me? Yeah. I admit it. There just aren't enough of us to stand up and be counted. And we're as great a generation as any other.

1 Comments:

At 12:32 AM , Blogger Sherman said...

I think the problem I have is that I thought I'd have had more done with my life by now. I kind of feel like a failure because I had these dreams of owning my restaurant by now and such. I never felt like a slacker, per se, but I do feel like I should be further along in my life and career. All I know is I should just keep plugging away at it and maybe I'll get there.

As for not being cool, I think coolness is pretty subjective. I do a lot of things I think are pretty cool. A lot of my friends just think I'm being a food geek or just kind of a nerd. As long as I think it's cool and I ain't hurting anyone, I 'm not uncool.

Of course it doesn't help when all the 20-somethings and teeny-boppers are wondering who the old fart is at the John Mayer show....

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home