Monday, March 20, 2006

Stepping out

Don't laugh. Please don't laugh when I tell y'all this.

While re-reading the Atlanta Rollergirls booklet we got a couple Sundays ago at the Apocalypstix-Sake Tuyas jam I went to with my nieces, I hit upon this interesting sentence: "VOLUNTEERS: We need DJs, referees, etc., to help us at meets. Contact blahblahblah for more info."

DJs. They need DJs.

OK, so it's a volunteer thing. No payola in it for Your Friendly Neighborhood Rekkidbraka but... it's doing something I love to do - DJing. Mixing. Putting music out there for people. Having fun. And Atlanta Rollergirls is really just kind of getting started as a league so who knows where it's going? Plus, these folks who come to these jams are involved in the local club scene and they like my kind of music - old skool country, rockabilly, '70s-'80s rock (Joan Jett!), hip-hop - all that. You never know what might be in the offing, just as something for weekends to help offset the cost of working my regular 40-hour job that is a great gig but pays nothing. I need something else. At the bare minimum I need an outlet - something to get me out and about, making new friends, meeting new people, DOING something fun.

DJs. They need DJs. Besides working in the Album 88 studio and DJing my friend Rob's wedding back in 1998 (with help; didn't have my own gear) I've never DJed publicly in my life. They have their own set announcers for ATL Rollergirls so they just need someone to play music to keep the crowd pumped. That I can DO.

Talk me into this, y'all. Because in my dusty CD collection there's a copy of Cheap Trick's "Southern Girls" that is just dying to be jacked as loud as it can go over the speakers at some ATLRG jam to get the gals ready to rumble. Tell me I'm not down for this action.

2 Comments:

At 1:05 PM , Blogger Sherman said...

Go for it! My DJ friend, Eric (or E-Rock, his stage name), used to DJ as many free gigs for house parties, weddings, birthdays, etc. as he could. It's the only way to get experience and get exposure. He's since hung up the headphones but he still has the "one-and-twos" and we still play some of the stacks of records he has in his garage.

 
At 1:24 PM , Blogger Sherman said...

oh and Ha-Ha

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home