Thursday, March 16, 2006

Sundown downtown

"Hey, how are you?" some random guy from Marketing asked my friend and co-worker Kim this morning on the elevator.

"Oh, you know," she said with her ever-present smile, "not bad for a Thursday."

Tomorrow is St. Patrick's Day and we're all excited because a group of us are heading over to a local pub, Sidebar, for after-work libation and celebration. If you don't live or work in downtown Atlanta you just don't understand how starved for pub/bar action or any kind of social scene the area is once 5 p.m. rolls around. People hightail it to their cars and tear off for the interstates to what they believe to be the relative safety of the suburbs. Or else they hit the tonier parts of the city: Midtown, Buckhead, Virginia-Highland -- anywhere that isn't Downtown.

Downtown dies with the sun.

But tomorrow evening, our AJC Sports Crew is going to do its part to breathe some life into old Fairlie Street, once a thriving area. We're going to eat, drink and be merry. We're going to wear green. We're going to get silly and take drunken photos so we'll remember... something about the night. We're going to say things like "Kiss Me I'm Irish" and probably tell stories we'll wish we hadn't come Monday. We're going to enjoy, enjoy, enjoy.

I'm having a black and tan. Or two.

I need this. Too often I also die with the sun.

2 Comments:

At 1:27 PM , Blogger mantaraggio said...

Oooh! Sounds fun! I tend to skip St. Paddy's day, it's entirely too crowded out for me.

Only two black and tans? I was in London once for St. Patrick's Day, and you had to drink five pints of Guinness just to get a toy tambourine.

 
At 3:39 PM , Blogger Sherman said...

If they have cider try a Black Velvet. You may have to clarify it for them though. I find that many bartenders think you want the whiskey brand, Black Velvet, instead of the Guinness/Cider drink. Tilt one back for me!

Sláinte!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home