Sunday, August 13, 2006

The summer of my discontent

I had plans for this summer - real goals. I looked forward to the long days, the nights that didn't start until nine p.m., sunny, sweltering afternoons during which I'd head up to my local park and sweat out the days' frustrations on the track.

None of that came to be. Summer's almost gone, as the old Doors song says, and all I have to show for it this year is a decided lack of natural tan and my Peachtree Road Race t-shirt and race number. I did spend a fantastic weekend in New York City, only to return home and immediately put my mother in the hospital. She just got out of physical therapy rehab after three weeks.

My summer, or lack thereof, has been an endless stream of workdays that leave me too mentally drained to do anything but come home and vegetate until it's time to sleep, then wake up the next day and do it all over again. Life isn't supposed to be this way - listless, humdrum, tiresome. I want more.

I want joy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home