Friday, August 19, 2005

Free the weed

Spraypainted on the side of a railroad boxcar that I drove by on my way to work this afternoon was the message "Free the weed." Beneath it, the same graffiti artist had painted a huge pot leaf. Why it, out of all the other, fancier graffiti painted on the many, many rusty old boxcars, caught my eye I don't know. Some railroad workers stood nearby, looking hard and tough in their grimy t-shirts, sweating in the brutal afternoon heat.

Later, as I was finishing my supper at a nearby burrito place, a pack of super-rich boys from the local prep school who had been getting louder and louder and more obnoxious as the minutes ticked away decided to pick on an old man as he left the restaurant. The man, who was old enough to remember the days when young men didn't brag about their supposed sex lives in public, must have given the lot of them a mild glare because the ugliest, zittiest of the crew waited until the man was safely 2/3 of the way out the door before saying "Hey sir, do you have any FRIENDS?" loud enough for his buddies to hear and chuckle about.

Driving away, I wished that posse of lame knuckleheads would meet up with the railroad men and pop off to one of those guys. Burritos taste better than fist sandwiches.

2 Comments:

At 2:30 PM , Blogger Sherman said...

Free the weed, Eh?

Sounds like typical tagger stuff to me. I wouldn't know why it caught your eye. I myself look at tags is some appreciative manner. My brother was a tagger in his high schoool days and I grew a respect for the art because of his influence. Now I'm not condoning destruction of property in any way, but I can appreciate the art form. I've seen graffiti artists make some really great statements with their "pieces."

 
At 2:38 PM , Blogger rekkidbraka said...

Oddly, compared to the other graffiti, "Free the weed" was kind of plain. But the taggers who dolled up the rest of the rusty old cars did some fairly detailed, colorful work.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home