Sunday, October 23, 2005

Itemizations, returns & exchanges

Every so often, I take stock of myself and try to figure out what I like about me and what I would like to change. I've been doing that lately and I'm not happy with the results. There's more that I think needs fixing than needs keeping.

• I'm generous and that's a great quality. But I need to spend my money more wisely, which will take some work.

• I'm willing to make sacrifices for others. This would go better, however, if I didn't feel as resentful about it as I have lately. I definitely don't like this in myself.

• My friends are wonderful people and I love them. I'm not always as nice to them as I should be or I don't see them as often as I should. I'd like to exchange me out for a better friend to my friends.

• I'm intelligent, literate, deep thinking even. Yet lately, I've become this snarky jokester who rarely picks up a book anymore. I miss the old me, who liked to discuss wide varieties of topics seriously, and with real insight and thoughtfulness, instead of just making snippy quips about them.

• I enjoy challenges. Now I look forward to avoiding them. I need to get past that.

I'm looking at everything I just wrote and hoping that I will find whatever it is that I need to draw on within myself to work -- really work -- at making these changes so that I can be a better me. But I know that the odds are the more I want these things to change, the more many if not all of them will stay the same.

This year's list and last year's list look a lot alike.

1 Comments:

At 7:01 PM , Blogger rekkidbraka said...

I'm incredibly depressed today and just looking at this list has me not liking myself at all right now.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home